Friday, March 24, 2006

Old skool reunion

Yesterday was the FOSIS/IIDR (or is it Awakening) scholars' bash on our very own Manchester campus. Unfortunately, I missed the actual substance of the event, as I was at a friend's house, and then went to provide moral support for Pink at the Student Union election count. It brought back memories of the fraught silences and sickening waiting for results of previous years, especially Fudge's bid for Student Direct Editor. I still don't know the results, but things were looking quite good when I left at 10pm.

Anyway, I got to the building where the talks were being held and met with lots of old friends who I hadn't seen for many a month, most of them not since the July wedding. After the talk finished, I went to give my salaam to Imam Suhaib, but unfortunately the huge number of brothers that were standing around waiting to have their heads patted made it rather difficult to get a word in, especially as I stand about one and a half feet shorter than him. However, with the help of Madd, I got his attention eventually and had the honour of being remembered by him. After all, these scholars meet millions of people who all claim acquaintance in some way e.g. Do you remember a dinner you came to in Manchester three years ago? Well I was sat opposite you three seats down!

It was a night full of nostalgia, as almost everyone I have ever worked with, or tried to avoid working with, in the past four years was there. Ah the memories.

PS a major well done to Pink and everyone who worked so hard on election. I would have firmly excluded Jughead, except that she was persuaded to do a few hours' grafting (aka flyering at North Campus with the wonderful Anjeza) at the Eleventh Hour.

6 Comments:

At 3:31 pm, Blogger Tamanna said...

Yay! She blogs.

Apparently the student Direct guy got in...I'm horrified...and upset that it wasn't me!!

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Mariamazmi said...

welcome back to blogging.

I would have helped! I remember many a days skiving school to chalk on campus in the freezing cold.

 
At 10:16 am, Blogger Mariamazmi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:37 am, Blogger Pink said...

thank u for being there xXx

 
At 7:48 pm, Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

are you ever going to blog again? in fact all you lame bloggers make not having internet a complete non-problem. you have no idea what a huge statement that is for me to make.

wassalam

 
At 12:47 am, Blogger Tamanna said...

Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me
small and white,
clean and bright,
you look happy to meet me
blossom of snow
may you bloom and grow,
bloom and grow forever
edelweiss, edelweiss, bless my home-land forever

 

Post a Comment

<< Home