Monday, January 24, 2005

traumatised

Have been doing some last minute cramming, went to sleep at 7am and was woken by the postman at midday. Just two and a half chapters to go, and am almost looking forward to the challenge of the Progress Test. If only I could get myself to start revising sooner, I'm sure I wouldn't do too badly in these things.

Anyway that's not why I'm traumatised. Found out when I'm having my tonsillectomy (10th Feb at Stepping Hill). Another medic who had it done at 16 said it was horrible and painful (he lost a stone in two weeks, or was it two stones in one week?), so being curious I decided to do some investigation...just read this:

My whole throat swelled up, I could taste blood, I was just sitting there balling my eyes out as the pain was just immense. I had shooting pains in my ears. I had to prepare myself for every time I swallowed because each time I swallowed it was like I was swallowing fire.

and if that wasn't bad enough, how about this:

my doctor warned me that days 3-5 would probably be the worst. since i felt so good on day three i thought maybe i was going to be lucky.....boy was i wrong.... day 4 came like a ton of bricks falling on me!! i felt terrible!!!! my throat was so sore i couldnt swollen without wanting to DIE! i expected day 5 to be easier. instead, it was even worse than day 4. and this time no one was there with me. everyone thought i would be ok by than. i was in so much pain!!!! the pain made me cry, and crying really really really hurt which made me cry even harder!!! it was not good! but i was able to calm down and felt a bit better. i hated being nauseas so i didnt want to eat anything. so i suffered most of the day.

All this suffering for a kiddy illness! And the worst thing is that it falls on the day of the mad-Cambridge-bicycle woman's piece-de-resistance, which I was supposed to go down for :(

So if you sympathise please come and visit me, and if you're feeling especially sorry for me, bring along a tub of Ben & Jerry's. Chocolate flavour. There's a Sainsbury's down the road.


2 Comments:

At 11:03 pm, Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

assalamu alaikum

this is indeed a tragedy. one is bereft of words. my piece-de-resistence will be sadly incomplete by your absence.

as for your infinitely less important predicament, i would suggest we lay off the ice cream and remember Mr C.'s 5% rule... (for those of you who don't know, Mr C. is a most punishing husband and will start sending all sorts of people to the 'bottom of the class' should his little wife expand beyond 5% of her current size. one should warn doctors of these frightening men before they start exterminating tonsils right left and centre, leaving legions of fat women in their wake.

Musings, i feel for you, the future does indeed look bleak, and i have nothing to say to make things better.

good luck.

mad as a cambridge bicycle (you can call my bikey for short ;))

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger Atia said...

dear me...if Mr C sees this, I will be without life and limb (and allowance) as well as tonsil. I may have to remove your comment before his return, bikey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home