Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Last night, Mr C and I were watching a random Arab channel, when an interview came on with a Sheikh speaking in the most beautiful clear Fusha Arabic ever. Well, it was supposed to be an interview, but the guy basically turned it into a khutbah. I have never in my life seen anyone speak like that about Islam. He would have been an incredibly gifted actor - the lilting tones of his voice, the facial expressions, by turns sorrowful, hopeful, encouraging, and sincere... it was true drama and we were riveted, despite not understanding a great deal of what was said. What made it especially cool (and kind of funny) was that the interviewer was forced to sit there through his speech, trying to get a question in here and there when he paused for breath. It turns out that he is actually the Grand Mufti of Aleppo in Syria, Dr Ahmed Hassoun. If you ever get the chance to see him (I think we were watching Manar) then do, you're in for a treat. This is the best picture I could find.

Anyway, I've been thinking of going to the AUSSS International Congress for a while, but logistically its proving to be a problem. It's basically a conference for medical students from all around the world. It's quite a swanky affair for a medical student thing, and as its all subsidised by sponsorship you get to stay at a 5* Hotel on the Nile and go to presentation dinners and workshops etc for a very reasonable price. It's four days long (12-15 Feb) and my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are coming on the 13th night. I may just go to the opening ceremony stay the night (if possible) and go to the day's conference, before coming home to tidy and cook before they arrive. There are some interesting sounding evening events, but I suspect that they are a bit dodgy what with dancing and so on, so I don't think I'll be missing too much.

I haven't commented on the cartoon ruckus yet, but I don't think I have much to add to the debate other than the World has Gone Mad.

1 Comments:

At 5:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aah al manar! i miss that channel!
o btw, congrats on the previous flat fight. am particularly impressed with bikey-really picking up on ammiyah there! tho i wouldnt really say egyptian is God's gift to the mid-east...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home