Sunday, January 15, 2006

Twiddling thumbs

Mr C has a tough schedule. His day begins bright and early after Fajr, with a three or sometimes four hour lesson in grammar. He has one of those teachers who can do Everything and manage - he's an ophthalmologist who is training for medical exams, studied Arabic to degree level and teaches every day, and also teaches students at a medical school here regularly. One of Mr C's friends studied with him - he sometimes did ten hours a day and made notes and audio lectures of ten books of grammar to take back to England with him..I doubt Mr C will reach such dizzying heights of scholasticism but he's definitely working hard (too hard to blog...).

I on the other hand, have so far had nothing to do. My doctor will be back today from his travels so hopefully I can sort out a plan of action on the medicine front, and I will find out what my level of Arabic is today, so I can start lessons. I apparently have a really good teacher, and because of my schedule they've had to make Naveed take her lesson at 8am so they can fit me in (Sorry Naveed).

I worked out that I need to study 200 hours at least while I'm here, on top of being in the hospital four days a week, studying Arabic 5 days and homework, in order to learn enough to do my medical exams. Then when I get back, I should have about the same to do again. This is assuming I work and don't daydream, and that I retain everything I learn, which so far hasn't happened. If I remembered all the stuff I have learned over the years I'd be a medical genius, like my friend Bandit, of the Photographic Memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home