Monday, January 23, 2006

I made baklawa today, as an experiment. However, I don't think I'll be doing it in a hurry again, because of the following:

1) Pistachios are expensive, even in Egypt
2) Pistachios take forever to shell
3) Pistachios hurt your fingers
4) Pistachios take forever to chop finely by hand
5) Our oven is a bit temperamental
6) There is sugar syrup all over my worktop because of a leak in the foil tin

Not to mention that it is hideously fattening. Baklawa making can be summarised by saying 'brush melted butter on everything'. However, the end result wasn't too bad - and it's easier than I thought it would be. But then again, as Mr C uncompromisingly says 'It's good. Not professional though.'

Here's a picture:

6 Comments:

At 8:25 am, Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

Mean.

I thought it was very nice :) but it was indeed glistening with oil.

Wassalam

 
At 2:08 pm, Blogger Pink said...

it looks beautiful.

this really has become a blog about the trials & tribulations of domestic goddessing :)

x

 
At 6:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and today I'm going to make a chicken pie (very 1950s I know) :) unfortunately, as I don't have a rolling pin I will have to improvise..ideas anyone? I thought maybe an empty bottle might do the trick...

 
At 6:52 pm, Blogger Pink said...

i used an aerosol can once - it seemed to work pretty well...

 
At 5:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ew no aerosols- i vote for the bottle. or maybe youor roll of foil has a sturdy tube in the middle?

 
At 2:17 am, Blogger *Under*Cover*Sister* said...

awww mashallah....it looks really well turned out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home